WOW the 2nd session for today’s class was REALLY
interesting today. The first session was
interesting in that it was captivating.
The 2nd session was interesting because of the strange direction
in which the conversation went. I had to
step out of the room to address an urgent matter. When I returned I sensed a change in
discourse and a level of tension in the room.
I turned to the person next to me and said, “I must have missed some
exciting conversation.” My neighbor
shook her head, to indicate, “yes, you did.”
I do not know what happened during the brief period that I was out of
the room but based on the conversation going on upon my return it is evident
that there may be individuals with unique expectations for this course. When I became aware that we were going to
have a technology course I expected the class would expose me to tools that may
be of help to me as an educator. Which tools specifically, I had no idea. But I was looking forward to becoming aware
of what’s available. And that’s exactly
what happened. So as you can see I did
not have a prepared list of things that I wanted to learn about. . . perhaps
because I am new to the educational field and was only aware of tools available
to help me in my career at the time and not in education. What I did not expect
was so much hands on experience. That
was a welcome surprise. It felt like I
was doing work for a class of 3 credits! J
I am sure much of that feeling comes from the intensity of the program as a
whole. I just looked at it as a smorgasbord
of appetizers. .. samplings of tools that are available for the purpose of
remaining aware whether or not we will actually have the opportunity or desire
the opportunity to utilize the tools in the classroom. The key here is the exposure.
At any rate moving on to the first half of class . . . . I
truly enjoyed having the former SMAC students in to discuss with us their
experiences with technology since the SMAC program, now that they are in the
classroom with students. Hearing their perspectives
on technology use in the classroom, teaching pedagogy, and the purpose of
education in general was enlightening.
"I had to step out of the room to address an urgent matter. When I returned I sensed a change in discourse and a level of tension in the room. I turned to the person next to me and said, “I must have missed some exciting conversation.” My neighbor shook her head, to indicate, “yes, you did.” "
ReplyDeleteIf I was your neighbor, I would have said, "no, no you didn't." I wish the discussion would have turned much more quickly to a different subject other than smart boards.
I fully trust Jeff and Kristin to guide our class and the content that we cover. I think I've come at the class with a similar attitude as you. I'm happy to have learned what I have and I feel confident that what I haven't learned is because class time was spent covering what two ed tech experts have deemed to me more important. Thanks for the post. It was interesting to hear your perspective on this matter.